So today it rained. Historically, I am not affected by the weather, but today is different. It has rained and rained for months on end. I was surprised by the cloud of gloom that seemed to engulf my normally bright sunny spirit. I have a mountain of email to at least read, calls to answer, and my sacred six things to do today all sitting here staring at me. So I look at the lIst with a loud groan. What delightful thing is my number one? Oh, yes, number one is write a blog. A blog? Today? When I am in a funk? Nah! Do it tomorrow, I reason. I am stuck here in inertia land. The only way to overcome inertia is to move. Being married to a now retired US Navy Captain, one thing I know by watching is no one can change the direction of a huge aircraft carrier unless she is moving. This same principle applies to me. So here I am funky mood and all. I laugh as I remember the Wolfman Jack answer to inertia and funky moods. But no, that requires WAY too much energy!!!! I will not go there. You will have to check that out yourself.
How did I overcome inertia? And better, yet, how can you??
- Feel the feeling. This sounds hokey, I know. But, I did not try and change my feelings or make me feel better. I simply sat with the feeling. Acknowledged it; used all my five senses to describe the feeling. I drew a sigil to describe it. Lastly, I dropped in and used my sixth sense, my keen sense of intuition. This was brilliant. Thank you Tara Marino for teaching me this!
- Do something. Today, the first thing I did (still feeling funky and stuck and really wanting to go back to bed) was take the sheets off the bed and put them into the wash. I then opened the windows and it is quite chilly. Fresh air is good, I mused.
- Move It. Put on some music. I did not take up my happy dance, my money dance, or any of the assorted Nana dances. Nope, I simply sat on my Pilates ball here at the computer. I chose my ITunes play list marked: A few to make me happy! I was listening to Justin Bieber’s Turn to You, the song her wrote for his Mom for Mother’s Day. However cheesy it might sound, I was singing along.
- Grab your sacred six, Choose #1. I remembered my #1 on my sacred six today and began to blog. The rain is pounding on the windows but the fog over my spirit is lifting. (thanks JB for teaching me the sacred six.)
- Stay with it until it is completed, but keep listening to music. Keep listening to music that makes you happy. Next I listened to Jason Mraz’s Living in the Moment. And you guessed it, my mood is lighter. I had chosen another path. As I wrote the sheer joy of writing emerged.
- Celebrate. Do not simply jump onto the next thing on your list. This is a “high five moment.” How long can you actually enjoy the accomplishment? Personally, I did my crazy little happy dance.
Not so long ago, I quickly tried to change my mood or forced myself to do things. What I have learned is: when I truly connect with myself, right where I am, I can receive then I can step into doing energy with ease, beauty, and grace. I offer these simple steps to you!!!
I would love to hear your comments!!! What works for you? What does not work?
Yours in beauty and grace,